Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Hanger Project


When I decided to upgrade the hangers in my closet from plastic to wood, I went to Organized Living and purchased walnut shirt/dress hangers and walnut pants hangers with clips. These are sold in packages of three. I didn't count my  clothes, I just bought a couple of shopping bags-full. It looked like a lot of hangers. This will get me started, I thought. I can always go back for more, if I need them.
After four return trips, I started to seriously cull my clothing. I learned to evaluate my wardrobe: Is this garment really worthy of a nice wood hanger, or should I pitch it? Lots and lots went into the give-away pile and I miss none of it.
 The result is a well-organized closet, with shirts hung by color, ranging from light to dark, everything facing the same way, all the pants evenly spaced, all the bathrobes hung in descending order of thickness. 
 This project - purchasing the hangers, taking the clothes off the mismatched plastic hangers, getting that dammed cardboard off the new ones, hanging it all up, finding shopping bags for the give away clothes and all the old hangers, and finally trying to find people who were willing to accept my old plastic hangers (The Wire Hanger People) while pretending to be mildly grateful - took several weeks.

No comments: