Saturday, August 2, 2008

Please Come In





Well, I decided I needed a little needlepoint "Please Come In" sign to hang on my front door for a cocktail party we gave in May. I haven't done needlepoint in years, and I was surprised to find it to be such a pleasantly soothing activity. It has, in fact, a distinctly soporific effect, which may explain why I didn't finish this project until July.
No matter. Our two hundred guests managed to find their way in and out of our house without signage.  
Still, the unfinished sign seemed to call for a door knocker on which to hang it. I found this one at finegardenproducts.com, made by Michael Healy.  It has a dark bronze finish and looks like a Nantucket lightship basket. The florist, Del Apgar, filled it with pink spray roses and ivy for the party. They were stuck into water-soaked Oasis foam, so the arrangement lasted for several days.
The caterer, La Petite Pierre, arranged crab claws and shrimp around an ice sculpture of our old stone barn, and we served flutes of Proseca with a dash of Chambord and a fresh raspberry, because I always enjoy a pink beverage.
There were also pink flower cookies and cicada cookies made by The Bonbonnerie. We had been expecting the cicadas to be swarming, but, happily, they did not arrive in full force for another week.
 
Here are some other ideas for pink beverages:
Watermelon juice and vanilla ice cream: puree watermelon in a blender, pour into a glass over vanilla ice cream. Add a straw.
Pink Champagne. I like Schramsberg.
Strawberry-orange-banana smoothie: put a scoop of ice cubes into a blender; add a ripe banana, and a handful of frozen strawberries.  Cover with orange juice and add two packets of Splenda. Blend.
 
 

No comments: